A Travellerspoint blog


“Bangkok has ‘em now…” --The Hangover Part II

A Typical Site in Bangkok--power lines!


Koh San Road....

After Railey, I took the overnight bus to Bangkok and arrived at the infamous Koh San Road. The first day, I prioritized getting my visas for Vietnam and then took the opportunity to take in the city. I walked to all of the shopping areas, including MBK. It was amazing because the department stores reminded me so much of department stores in the U.S. It wasn’t anything like the Australian one-story department stores, but it was a proper multi-level shopping experience (with nice restrooms as well—such a small detail but when you’ve been traveling as long as I have, some things are really important in a store) ☺

The next day, I took the river boat along the “Grand Canal of the East” (a la Venice--that’s a slight overstatement—it’s more like dirty water along a canal) to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.

The entrance to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha among other buildings, aka Wat Phra Kaew:


The Emerald Buddha:

I also saw the Grand Palace:




And the largest Buddha in Thailand in Wat Pho.



That night I met a group of awesome Americans. They were all former Peace Corps volunteers, having served in Berkina-Faso, on their way back to the United States. We had a great time—we went out to the Nana Entertainment Complex and had a wild night out! We even met a ladyboy, which was a hilarious conversation I’ll always remember!


The next day, we snuck into the hotel pool at the Labua—the same 5-star hotel where they filmed The Hangover Part II.


After all, it had been a while since all of us had indulged in that type of luxury.


Unfortunately, our afternoon of luxury was cut short when the management caught onto us, but not before we got some amazing pictures of the restaurant at the top, which you'll recognize from the scenes from The Hangover Part II.


On the way back to Koh San Road, we took a cab. Although the cab ride should have been about 60 baht (the equivalent of $2 USD) and absolutely no more than 100 baht, that jerk of a cabbie took us for a ride. He basically drove halfway to the airport and back, claiming it was a shortcut. What should have been a 10 minute cab ride turned into an hour and a half with the meter reading an upwards of 300 baht. Not having any of it, we gave him the 100 baht and then ran away cowardly avoiding a confrontation, but at the same time feeling very proud of ourselves for not succumbing to his corruptive scheme.

After another night out in Bangkok, I left Thailand behind and moved onward to Cambodia.

Posted by kendallwallace 04:59 Archived in Thailand Tagged bangkok

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint